Moreland Council endorses Peoples Climate Rally
At the Council meeting on 9th September Moreland Council voted on a motion of Cr Sue Bolton’s to endorse the Peoples climate March on the weekend Friday 27 November to Sunday 29 November 2015.
Event organisers have called for wide community endorsement of this rally to send a strong message to leaders and diplomats gathering in Paris at the United Nations climate conference. Marches and rallies are being planned for this weekend around the world.
The rally is also meant to send a powerful message to the Australian Government for strong action on climate change and will hold our decisions makers to account. The Abbott Government has been widely criticed for it’s low climate targets of 26 to 28 per cent reduction on 2005 levels by 2030.
The Melbourne march, to be held in the Melbourne CBD, is scheduled to start at 5.30pm for the evening of Friday 27 November 2015.
As Moreland has a history of environmental and climate leadership, endorsement was seen as in alignment with many of the current policies and direction of Council, and it also sets an example for other Council’s and community organisations to endorse the rally.
Here is the text of the motion from the meeting agenda:
NOM41/15 ENDORSEMENT OF PEOPLE’S CLIMATE MARCH (D15/271724) – Cr Sue Bolton
Council resolves to become a partner of the People’s Climate March on the weekend Saturday 28 November to Sunday 29 November 2015 which would include the following activities:
- Be involved in the key promotional events in the lead up to the People’s Climate March.
- Have Moreland City Council listed as a partner on the People’s Climate March website.
- Seek the support of the Municipal Association of Victoria and the Victorian Local Government Association for the People’s Climate March.
- Take the opportunity to communicate to and encourage conversations with your members, supporters and donors.
- Join the mobilisations in November and promote attendance at the mobilisations to staff and residents.
- Promote the People’s Climate March in the Moreland Leader newspaper, on social media, the council website and with posters in libraries.
So save that date: Rally and march Melbourne State Library 5.30pm Friday 27 November 2015.
Let us make Melbourne a memorable march to kick off the global People’s Climate voice for strong climate action over the weekend. We need our voice to be heard in Paris as it is unlikely our Foreign Minister Julie Bishop and the Abbott Government will be articulating for strong action on our behalf.