Posts tagged ‘350.org’
What you’ve helped achieve so far
- Moreland Council received 498 signatures at the April Council Meeting asking for divestment of Moreland’s finances from Fossil Fuels
- At the May Council Meeting Moreland councilors approved a motion to audit council investments (term deposits mostly) to help give visibility to how ratepayer’s money is financing dirty energy projects
- At their June meeting the council modified the awarding of their financial services contract to state that if the Commonwealth bank had not divested from Fossil Fuels by the end of their initial three year term, they would not be eligible for any extensions the contract offers. The contract would be automatically re-tendered to allow banks who don’t invest in fossil fuels a shot. To our knowledge, this is the first time an Australian local council has put a bank on notice that their fossil fuel financing is putting their continuing business relationship on the line.
- Tonight at the July Council meeting we presented another 332 signatures to council to let them know that while we welcome their engagement on the issue there’s still a way to go.
What we’ve got planned ahead
- The big event we have planned for August is a Community Climate Action Forum – where Climate Action Moreland and 350.org will be talking about ways that people can get involved in the grassroots efforts going on everywhere to help do things to combat climate change now. One topic you can be assured will be covered is the effort to get council to divest from fossil fuels. Details are below.
- We’ll keep engaging with council to figure out the logistics of cleaning up their finances – we want to help council build a plan that lets them move all their money out of dirty energy investments.
- We’ll keep getting out and engaging the community to get more people to sign up to cleaning up Moreland’s finances
Community Climate Action Forum
Where: Coburg Concert Hall, 90 Bell St, Coburg
350.org Moreland Campaign Volunteer
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a worldwide campaign sending a strong message for climate action in the countdown to negotiations in Copenhagen.
Climate Action Moreland Countdown to Copenhagen
The actions and events you create are up to you, but be sure include things like garage sales, sausage sizzles, competitions and music so everyone can have a great time.
For our next meeting we’ve invited Wilderness Society campaigners Scott and Amelia to discuss forests and climate change, as well as their plans for the upcoming 350.org international day of action on October 24th. We’ll also have a discussion about the Moreland Climate Group’s plans for our own local actions.